There are many ways in which a couple picks a wedding photographer. Some go through their friends’ recommendations, some go to their friends who are in the wedding photography business, while others go online and research about the various professional wedding photographers in Singapore. Let us talk about the various pros and cons about each method.
Pros of going through friends’ recommendation:
- If your friend’s tastes for wedding photography is the same as yours and your fiance, then it’ll be great as you will be able to get a highly similar style of photography as they did (generally speaking).
- You may be able to ask for a discount.
Cons of going through friends’ recommendation:
- If things turn out bad, chances are, you may also blame your friends and then end up with no more friendship.
- Sometimes, a wedding photographer can have a very unique (read: weird) personality. If you like the wedding photos your friends’ recommended photo take, but if you do not like the photographer himself, chances are, you’re going to be miserable on the actual day of the shoot. This is because some couples prefer working with a director style photographer (most couples not well versed with photography like this because it’s hands free for them), but some couples may prefer working with a passive photographer who just captures wedding pictures for them (while they come up with their own poses and ideas only).
Pros of going to a friend who is a photographer:
- You may get a discount.
- It’s easy to communicate with him or her since you’re already friends with him or her.
Cons of going to a friend who is a photographer:
- If the only reason you went to your friend is because he or she gives you a greater discount and lower prices than outside photographers, you’re going to blame that on him or her if the photographs turn out sub-par. (e.g. accuse him or her for poorer quality photographs because he or she gave you a steep discount).
- If the photographs don’t turn out as expected, you may lose that friendship, which is bad.
Pros of researching online:
- You can find out the reviews of the said photographer whom you’re thinking of engaging.
- You liaise directly with the photographer or the wedding photography studio, and this allows you to judge their personalities and quality of photography without letting anything like emotions cloud your perception.
- You can find a lot of photographers within a short period of time and decide from there, because almost every single wedding photographer in Singapore has their own website. You can easily look for them in minutes on Google or Instagram.
Cons of researching online:
- Some photographers list their email or contact numbers online, but are absolutely non-responsive.
Personally, I went through a friend’s recommendation (i.e. http://www.grandeurweddingstudio.com/photography-singapore/), and then checked out their portfolio online, talked to the photographer and decided to pick their packages. I combined the best of the above 2 methods (friends’ recommendation + researching online) to pick, and in my opinion the wedding photos I took with Grandeur was good and quite a pleased experience overall..). You can find them if you’re taking a wedding photoshoot in Singapore.